This chili is loaded with high potassium foods which will help prevent muscle cramps while exercising.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- Winter squash (1 butternut squash or 2 acorn squash or 1 small pumpkin) peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes (you can also buy these already cut up)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2+ tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo (start with 1/2 tablespoon and add more to taste) You can find this at any grocery or even leave out.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, including the liquid**
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or 1 14-ounce can)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 Avocados, diced
- Optional additional garnishes: corn tortillas, or chips, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream (get creative)
- In a 4- to 6-quart stockpot over medium heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper and butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are turning translucent.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and add the garlic, chili powder, 1/2 tablespoon chopped chipotle peppers, cumin and cinnamon. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the bay leaf, beans, tomatoes and their juices and broth. Stir to combine and cover for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Taste about halfway through cooking and add more chopped chipotle peppers if you’d like.
- You’ll know your chili is done when the butternut squash is nice and tender and the liquid has reduced a bit, producing the hearty chili consistency we all know and love. Remove the bay leaf and add salt to taste.
- Serve the chili in individual bowls, topped with the optional garnishes you like.
If you’d like some help with your health or fitness journey why not schedule a FREE 30 Minute Wellness Consultation with me. I’d love to help in any way that I can. Click the book now link below and find a time that works for you
If you’re a women over 50 and you’d like to get moving and feel better you should try one of my online workouts designed just for us; low impact cardio to protect our joints, strength training because its a must as we age, Pilates because a strong core = a strong body and more. Oh and you can try ALL of my workouts FREE for 7 Days by clicking HERE and signing up!