We have a lemon tree and this time of year we often have way too many lemons (I know poor me, right?). I’m also very much against using white sugar so I came up with the 10 ways to use lemons without adding any white sugar. Enjoy!
1. EVERY morning Drink 8oz of warm water with a nice squeeze of lemon. You not only get a boost of vitamin C and potassium to help your immune system it is an excellent way to give your digestive system a wake up call.
2. Use Lemon as a Natural Deodorizer. The citric acid in lemons (and other citrus fruits) works to neutralize odors, and the lemony smell leaves a pleasant odor after cleaning. This works especially well on food odors.
- Deodorize your dishwasher by adding 1 cup of lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best) to the bottom of your dishwasher and run just the rinse cycle to disinfect and deodorize it.
- Freshen up your whole kitchen. Fill a pot with water, and add lemon (and/or orange) peels, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Simmer on your stove.
- Deodorize your sink. Put a handful of lemon in the sink disposal and run with water.
- Freshen Up Stinky Trashcans. Throw a few lemon rinds into the trashcan every so often to keep it smelling fresh.
3. Brighten Your Nails. Soak your nails in a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. While the lemon juice brightens your nails, the olive oil will help strengthen them.
4. Prevent Foods from Browning. Soak cut-up apples, cauliflower, bananas, pears, potatoes, and avocados in a bowl of cold lemon water to prevent browning
5. Lighten Age spots. Poor judgement as a teen and spending too much time in the sun is showing up as age spots. Dabbing on some lemon juice and leaving it for 15 minutes before washing off can help lighten these dark spots!
6. Healthy alternative to Lemonade – Rosemary and Ginger are two of the top healing herbs. Adding lemon only makes them yummier. This drink is great as is and even better with some extra sparkling water or maybe even a splash of vodka! I had about 12 people over and ran out quickly so double the recipe if you are having a large group since you can’t just whip up another batch. Recipe here Rosemary Ginger Lemonade
7. Lemons are great natural cleaning agents
- Microwave If your microwave needs some cleaning heat a bowl of water, lemon juice and lemon slices for three minutes. The gunk will wipe right off.
- Windows Lemon juice cuts through grease and grime on windows and glass. Try combining it with cornstarch, vinegar, and water for a phenomenal window cleaner.
- Cutting boards Sprinkle coarse salt on your cutting board then rub with a cut lemon to freshen and remove grease. This trick also works for wooden salad bowls and rolling pins
- Shower doors Dip the cut half of a lemon in baking soda, then rub into on the glass to remove water stains. Rinse and towel dry.
- All-purpose cleaner Combine water, baking soda, vinegar, lemon, and lemon essential oil for a wonderful kitchen or bathroom cleaner
8. Preserve your own Lemons. I did this a few years ago for Christmas gifts. Recipes that use them are mainly middle eastern but this Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Lemons is to die for! Here is the recipe for Preserved Lemons.
9. Simple Lemon Vinaigrette. This easy to do recipe makes an amazing spring salad dressing that is healthy and versatile.
10. When Life Give you Lemons…make Limoncello! I have been doing this for years and giving it away as gifts. This year I didn’t dare add the 3 cups of the evil white power so I used raw honey instead. The color isn’t as yellow but the flavor is like liquid gold. Honey Limoncello Recipe.
If you’d like some help with your health or fitness journey why not schedule a FREE 30 Minute Wellness Consultation with me. I’d love to help in any way that I can. Click the book now link below and find a time that works for you
If you’re a women over 50 and you’d like to get moving and feel better you should try one of my online workouts designed just for us; low impact cardio to protect our joints, strength training because its a must as we age, Pilates because a strong core = a strong body and more.
Oh and you can try ALL of my workouts FREE for 7 Days by clicking HERE and signing up!