Let’s FACE it, our world is filled with things conspiring to trip us; uneven walkways, slippery floors, rocks we don’t see and that ever dreaded banana peel. OK has anyone you know ever tripped on a banana peel?
Tripping is gonna happen. What we have to fight against is FALLING. Falling, especially as we get older can be traumatic.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- One in four Americans aged 65+ falls each year.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall; every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injury and the most common cause of nonfatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults.
I’m CONVINCED! So what do we do?
EVERYDAY we need to do something to improve our balance.
If our balance is good, WHEN we trip we are better prepared to catch ourselves from falling.
Here are some SIMPLE things you can do EVERYDAY to IMPROVE YOUR BALANCE:
- Stand on one foot while you are brushing your teeth, doing the dishes, standing in line at the store,….
- If that’s easy try standing on one foot with your eyes closed! (Don’t hold on)
- Walk on the curb like you used to do as a kid.
- Walk heel to toe across the room, if that’s easy try it backwards!
- If those are easy trying standing on an unstable surface like a pillow OR some of these fun things you can get on Amazon(click on link to go directly to Amazon)
- Try one of my MANY Balance Challenging Workout FREE for 7 Days on the Be Healthy Enough Online Exercise Platform. You can see them all HERE
MAKE IT FUN!
DO IT EVERYDAY!
WHEN IT GETS TOO EASY, CHALLENGE YOURSELF!
If balance is a problem for you make sure you talk to your doctor and read my blog on the 7 THINGS THAT COULD BE AFFECTING YOUR BALANCE
If you’d like some extra help why not schedule a FREE 30 Minute Wellness Consultation with me. I’d love to help in any way that I can. Click the book now link below and find a time that works for you
If you’re a women over 50 and you’d like to get moving and feel better you should try one of my online workouts designed just for us; low impact cardio to protect our joints, strength training because its a must as we age, Pilates because a strong core = a strong body and more. Oh and you can try ALL of my workouts FREE for 7 Days by clicking HERE and signing up!