A homemade alternative to store bought cranberry sauce with delicious hints of orange to complement the flavor!
Author: Wellness Mama
- 2 bags of fresh cranberries (they are usually 12 ounce bags)
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup of applesauce (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup of water
- juice and zest of one orange
- 3-4 Tablespoons of honey or to taste (optional)
- Put cranberries, applesauce and water in a sauce pan and and bring to a boil.
- Keep on medium heat, stirring constantly until the cranberries start to explode (about 10-15 minutes).
- Reduce to a simmer and pour the juice and zest over the cranberry mixture.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.
- Cool completely and store in fridge at least 4 hours but preferably overnight before serving
NOTE: This is not as sweet as those awful canned versions! Taste at the end of cooking. It is naturally sweet from the fruit juice and applesauce but you can add more honey to taste if needed.