Recipe modified from www.spendwithpennies.com
Cowboy Caviar (also known as Texas Caviar) is a salad with black beans, black-eyed peas and a light vinaigrette-style dressing — perfect as a dip, appetizer, or side-dish!
- 3 Roma tomatoes , seeds removed, diced
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can black eyed peas , rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups frozen sweet corn, thawed (I just usually toss it in the salad frozen unless I plan on eating it immediately, it thaws quite quickly).
- 1 bell pepper , diced (I used half a green and half a red, but color doesn’t matter)
- ⅓ cup red onion , diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeds removed, diced into very small pieces
- ⅓ cup Cilantro , finely chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice (fresh preferred)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, black beans, black eyed peas, corn, pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss/stir well so that ingredients are well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour dressing over other ingredients and stir/toss very well.
- Keep refrigerated. If not serving immediately, be sure to toss/stir well before serving.
Eat as a salad or use as a dip with whole grain tortilla chips or veggies (jicama is perfect).