We love tortilla soup but it can be full of carbs if you aren’t careful. This one is loaded with veggies for an extra boost of vitamins and fiber. I do serve it with warm or even baked whole grain for some extra flavor. Oh and a margarita is a nice treat. Enjoy
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep Time 10 min
- Cook Time 30 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 16oz (about 1) rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 carrots cut in to cubes
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) corn, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 (32oz each) box cartons organic bone broth (or just less if you want)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup cilantro, optional
- Handful crushed whole grain chips, optional
- Avocado, diced, optional
- Sour cream, optional
Heat oil in a large pot over medium. Add crushed red pepper and stir for 1 minute. Add chicken and stir.
Add in the zucchini and carrots and stir for 3-4 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, corn, green chilies, seasoning and lime juice. Stir together for 1 minute. Add broth, and bring to a near boil. Stir in the tomato paste, then reduce to a simmer. Top with lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
Divide among the bowls and garnish with cilantro, avocado, sour cream and chips, if using.